Thursday, June 23, 2011

San Francisco Bicycle Music Festival


The night before the event I was a little at a loss with the scope explosion of preparing all the smoothie ingredients and ice cream base by myself. Luckily I was able to enlist my Uncle Jeff and my house mate Jeff.  They volunteered their Friday night to help me cook and prep.





Thanks to Organic Valley we had coupons to get all the heavy cream, milk and half and half we needed!







Coffee? check, helmet? check.

 Gabe Dominguez rolled by my house at 8 am to help me transport all of the smoothie and ice cream ingredients. We assembled at Paul (aka Fossil Fool)'s  house which was a rush with the loading of gear on bikes. I knew as I was strapping stuff to bikes and tucking the nectarines in the rickshaw that this would be one of the best rides. I believe this birdie was also excited. On the way to Golden Gate park we picked up a whole bunch of burritos at Pancho Villas strapped those to our bikes. The burritos turned out to be very helpful keeping everyone happily fueled.









This is El Arbol, the funky quadricycle
And below, a big circle dance with the caller hollering.





We arrived at the fiddlers green and quickly set up. As soon as I had my smoothie station up people started lining up to get them. I was so busy making smoothies I wasn't able to figure out why I couldn't get any ice for the ice cream bike. The ice did arrive at 3 pm and we were able to work on the long awaited and exciting ice cream. We had no problem getting volunteers to ride the newest pedal powered invention and it worked splendidly. If you need an ice cream bike or a fender blender Rock the Bike can help you out.

promise I was having a good time, lots of customers like to participate by pedaling their own smoothies.





Kipchoge and the Ginger Ninjas played on the mobile stage for the first half of the ride over to Showplace Triangle. The SF Conservatory Opera was probably the most unusual sight to see and hear rolling with 300 bikers through the streets. It was amazing and though there were some confused drivers the ride went swimmingly.







Tara Quinn's aerial hoop contortion performance was very beautiful. You can see her swinging from El Arbol.





El Arbol also provided the light show.




Claire as a golden goose! the geese collect tips for the bands.

The music was awesome! If you missed the SF BMF this year put it on your calender next year. The only way to experience the magical bike powered festival is to show up on your bike!

Daily Kos, another blog post about the festival, very well written. 

Thanks to Spencer who rode the bike kitchen rickshaw and carried a bunch of the gear needed for the smoothies. Shout out to Jeffery Blumenthal, Gabe Dominguez, Paul Freedman and all the roadies and volunteers who helped plan and execute such a cool event.

Big huge THANKS to the Trader Joe's on masonic for their generous contribution to our Smoothie and ice cream making. Also thanks to rainbow for their patience with me and my coupons.

ALLIDA

No comments:

Post a Comment