Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chico Bicycle Music Festival 2011



I showed up late Friday night to a very quiet Grub farm hunkered down for a night of dreams about the upcoming bicycle music festival. So quietly I parked my bike under the protection of a tree and made a lean to with a tarp and my xtracycle, curled up in my bivy to get some rest for the upcoming day. I had planned to meet some friends but all communication was star crossed for some reason. So fresh from San Francisco, I thought this farm has to be the best place to guerrilla camp.

In the morning after the rooster hesitantly crowed I packed my bike like I just rode in, and went to look for the Grub coffee crowd. At first they were a little surprised to see me and a bit bewildered as to why I would show up five hours early. Got some coffee and met Sammy who was a rush at rain revisions to the plan. I told her to take heart and that the rain that had started falling at dawn wouldn't dampen nor stop our parade.

A bike parade started forming, with the most striking rigs being the huge carts that were being towed. One was originally how Grub delivered their organic produce locally. The guy who was going to ride the smoothie bike didn't show up. Luckily I had all the gear we needed and realized this must be the reason I had to be here early. An xtracycle radish, a fender blender by rock the bike and accouterments. Grub Chico had all the fruit cut and frozen ready to go. The smoothie bike was mobilized and ready to ride.

The video shows us riding to the first venue.
We set up downtown Chico right across the street from the farmer's market. Shelter from the rain popped up and everything was set up in a flash and the music began. I had two wonderful volunteers helping run the smoothie stand, so well in fact I was able to wander and take pictures.


Smoothie shop is also audience participatory.

It was decided due to inclement weather to head straight back to Grub farm to hunker down underneath the Walnut tree. The videos following are of the ride back. I filmed while riding so its shaky, see if you can spot yourself or your friends though! You all are troopers for coming out in the rain, glad you weren't scared!



group riding to Grub
Sammey on the mic





 Thanks to New Belgium for sending their beer faeries!






The Fat Tire raffle bike parked in front of the Chico Bike Music fest merch table
Pedaling to power the Ginger Ninjas, the green light indicates how much power is being generated.

To see all the pictures I took of the event in better quality visit my Chico BMF photo album




 Thanks to the Grub farm and collective for hosting this event and me for the weekend. I thought the whole festival went very well. It was the best Bicycle Music Fest I have been to so far! The music was awesome and had everyone dancing. I couldn't tell you about all the cool people and their cool bikes and the good vibes in the scene. Here on this blog pictures and videos aren't really diddly in exchange for actually having gone and particiapted in a bicycle music festival. Luckily for you there is one coming your way. Keep your eyes peeled!  for the Bicycle Music Festival

ALLIDA
Location:Chico CA

No comments:

Post a Comment